Teaching Horizons

a blog for teachers of Horizons School

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Because you don't have enough to think about

Hi all,

As we're doing all this standards and competencies stuff, I find myself wondering about my own standards and competencies as a teacher. So here's a question to comment on if you dare/care...

What are the standards you hold yourself to as a teacher at Horizons? What competencies do you expect of yourself?

3 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Standards for me:
--Be prepared, be on time
--Be clear in my expectations of them
--Be available to them (in the classroom physically and mentally)
--Care about their progress
--Provide a clean, safe, well-lit learning environment
--Maintain a classroom culture that is condusive to learning for all students

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Priscilla Gay Smith said...

Fine standards, Angie, ones I aspire to.

Also

Be relevant.
Demonstrate curiosity.
Encourage critical thinking.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Angie said...

And of course there's the old standby, "set a good example". I.e., model behaviors that I want to see (language, kindness, humor, organization, enthusiasm, staying on task, etc.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home