Essential Questions: Ideas
Here are some "essential questions" or "areas of exploration" that the skills we came up with seem to suggest. Underneath are content areas that address the questions in part. Lots of overlap here, of course. Plus, I don't have the "life skills" in front of me, so this is from memory.
Who am I?
Self exploration (creative writing, performance, art, music, psychology
Where did I come from?
Comparative religion, history, philosophy
What is my place in the world?
World languages, world cultures, history, literature, sociology
What is the nature of the world around me?
Math, philosophy, science, government, history, aesthetics, literature, current events, humanities
How can I best interact with the world around me?
Reading, writing (essays and creative), mechanics (grammar, punctuation, syntax), vocabulary, performance, listening / interpersonal skills, art, ESL, foreign language, decision-making, public speaking, group work (collaborative effort), techonology
How can I make the world a better place for myself and for others?
Community service, career exploration, social justice stuff, group work (collaborative effort), health / sex ed, consumer economics, study skills & test-taking
Comments? Likes? Dislikes? Changes? Additions? I do like the idea that these are questions all humans seek to answer and that we teachers facilitate the inquiry by providing opportunities within these content areas.
Angie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home